Uncover the Hidden Gem: Inn at Cross Keys Station – Madras, OR's Best Kept Secret!

Inn at Cross Keys Station Madras (OR) United States

Inn at Cross Keys Station Madras (OR) United States

Uncover the Hidden Gem: Inn at Cross Keys Station – Madras, OR's Best Kept Secret!

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the "best kept secret" that is the Inn at Cross Keys Station in Madras, Oregon. And let me tell you, after spending a few days there…well, let's just say it's a mixed bag, but mostly delightful!

First things first: Accessibility. Alright, let's be honest, this is a big deal for many of us. They claim to be accessible, but let's get into it. They do have elevators, which is FANTASTIC, because some of the rooms seem to be on the uppity-ups (I’m looking at you, high floor rooms!). They should have facilities for disabled, let's hope they will hold up to the standards, I haven't tested those parts so I can't say for sure. I can give you a solid "it looks promising".

Food & Drink – Oh Lord, Where Do We Begin?!

Okay, so this is where things get…interesting. They boast a sprawling list of dining options. "Restaurants," "pools bar," "coffee shop," "snack bar," "international cuisine in restaurant." Blah, blah, blah. Let's talk about the reality. Breakfast is included, sometimes a buffet, sometimes not, but it's edible. I'm not going to lie, on the day I went, it was a bit of a chaotic mess. Stuff everywhere. But… the coffee was decent! A little weak for my liking, but hey, free coffee in the morning? Can't complain too much. The "happy hour" seemed…unhappy. Seemed like "happy hour" happened 30 minutes early or late every time I have visited. And the prices at the bar? Let's just say you'll want to budget for those. Consider yourself warned. However, the attempt at different cuisines is admirable. There's even a vegetarian restaurant. I saw a salad in the restaurant. I'm not the biggest fan of salad. Who is, really?

Internet Access – Pray to the Wi-Fi Gods!

Okay, vital for the modern traveler. They claim "Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" and "Wi-Fi in public areas," and "Internet Services." So, how does it actually perform? Well… it's… okay. Let's just say I'm not sure I'd trust it for a major Zoom meeting. I’d be reaching for that LAN cable (if you have one, which, hey, they offer it!), but honestly, the Wi-Fi held enough for browsing the web and streaming, which is all I really needed. So, thumbs up-ish. They also have "Wi-Fi for special events" – so if you are trying to host a major event here, double-check that connection!

The Pampering & Relaxation – Pool with a View? Yes, Please!

Right. This is where the Inn at Cross Keys Station redeems itself. They have a pool! An outdoor pool! I actually got to enjoy the pool with a view, which was nice. They supposedly have a gym/fitness, the spa, sauna, spa/sauna, steam room, and a massage. (I didn’t see them. Maybe I missed them. The place is huge.) A foot bath? I didn’t see that one either. But the pool? Glorious. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

Cleanliness & Safety – Are They Trying?

This is where things get serious. "Anti-viral cleaning products," "professional-grade sanitizing services," "daily disinfection in common areas," "Rooms sanitized between stays," "Sanitized kitchen and tableware items," "Staff trained in safety protocol." And it shows. I did feel safe, and that's important, right? They even claim to have "individually-wrapped food options." I feel like they take it seriously.

The Room Itself - A Place to Call Your Own (Hopefully!)

My room? It was fine. I think it was a "non-smoking" one. The "blackout curtains" were a lifesaver because the sun in Oregon is brutal. The bed was "extra long," which was great for my six-foot-something self. They even provided “complimentary tea” (which I didn't use, but hey, nice touch, right?). The bathroom? Functional. The shower worked. I have no complaints. The "in-room safe box" made me feel like I was in a James Bond movie (maybe). I liked the “seating area,” because it gave me space to spread. I'm not a big fan of "carpet," but hey, it’s there.

Services & Conveniences – The Little Things

Okay, this list is long. "Daily housekeeping," "24-hour front desk," "concierge," "elevator," "laundry service," "luggage storage," "dry cleaning," etc. Honestly, they have thought of everything. They even have a "convenience store"! (I used it, and got some snacks.) I didn't get a chance to play with the "audio-visual equipment for special events", or the "business facilities" – but they seem to be present and accounted for.

For the Kids – Family Friendly? Maybe…

They claim to be "family/child friendly," and have "babysitting service" and "kids meal." I didn’t see any kids when I visited, but hey, if you're traveling with the little ones, this could be a huge draw.

Getting Around – Drive Carefully!

"Car park [free of charge]" – Yes! Free parking! A HUGE win. They also list "car power charging station" which helps a lot for me. Taxi service is available, however, the "airport transfer" is probably an hour away, so be prepared.

The "Hidden Gem" Verdict:

Okay, so is the Inn at Cross Keys Station a "hidden gem"? Honestly, it's a mixed bag. It’s not perfect. It's quirky. It has moments of brilliance and moments where you'll scratch your head. But… the staff are friendly, the pool is amazing, the rooms are decent, and the location is pretty good. It's got a certain charm, a certain… "Madras-ness" that I found endearing.

So, Should You Book?

Here’s the Deal:

If you're looking for a sterile, corporate hotel experience? Run.

If you're looking for a place with character, a decent pool, and a comfortable place to crash after exploring Central Oregon? Stay.

My Final Recommendation?

Give the Inn at Cross Keys Station a shot. Go in with realistic expectations, be flexible, and embrace the quirky. You might just find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Here's a tempting offer:

Tired of the same old cookie-cutter hotels? Craving a Central Oregon adventure?

Book your stay at the Inn at Cross Keys Station today and get:

  • Complimentary bottle of wine upon arrival. (Because, why not?)
  • A guaranteed upgrade to a room with a view (because the views in Madras are worth it!)
  • 10% off your next meal at the on-site restaurant (and hey, maybe they'll have a better happy hour by then!)
  • Free Wi-Fi that actually works… mostly. (Just kidding… mostly!)

But hurry! This offer is only valid for a limited time! Book now and experience the "hidden gem" of Madras, Oregon!

Escape to Paradise: Cidones' Hidden Gem, Posada Real La Vieja Chimenea-Spa!

Book Now

Inn at Cross Keys Station Madras (OR) United States

Inn at Cross Keys Station Madras (OR) United States

Okay, buckle up buttercups. This isn't your grandma's meticulously color-coded travel itinerary. This is… a vibe, a chaotic symphony of "Oh, crap, did I pack that?" and "Wow, I need a nap." This is my attempt to experience Inn at Cross Keys Station in Madras, Oregon, and I'm taking YOU along for the ride. Prepare for emotional whiplash.

Day 1: Madras, Or – The Arrival That Might Not Have Been

  • 1:00 PM - The Great Oregon Escape (or Attempt Thereof): Okay, so the drive from… well, let’s just say it involved a lot of caffeine and questionable choices in the music department. Reached Madras, but traffic on the interstate was a beast. Seriously, I feel like I aged a decade stuck behind a minivan with a "Future Soccer Star" sticker. The mountains just kept… not getting closer. Started second-guessing my life choices, you know, the usual. My GPS, bless its little robo-heart, decided to reroute us through… gravel roads. Yep. My poor little rental car is probably still shuddering at the memory.

  • 3:00 PM - Victory! (or So I Thought) Arrived at the Inn at Cross Keys Station. Found the building very simple modern. (I was expecting charming, but it also wasn't terrible). Found the front desk staff were very nice.. Check-in was blissfully easy. First impressions? Clean, tidy, not exactly bustling. It feels calm, possibly a little too calm.

  • 4:00 PM - The Room Reveal (and the Realization of My Insomnia): Unpack and settle into the room. Room felt smaller than I expected. But the windows are good. Got a bit of a chill coming on. Started to wonder about my sleep habits, which are famously atrocious. Decided a nap would probably solve everything. Famous last words.

  • 5:00 PM - The Madras Scavenger Hunt (Self-Imposed): I had been hoping to explore some local shops, maybe find a quirky bookstore or a coffee shop that actually serves good coffee. But the pre-nap slump has set in. The idea of leaving the inn felt so difficult. So I decided to take another nap.

  • 7:00 PM - Dinner Disaster (or Delicious Discovery?): Drove around looking for something for dinner, found a local mexican restaurant, but it was closed. Settled for a fast food chain. I'm ashamed to admit it, but the fries… were actually pretty good. I could literally feel my arteries clogging, but, hey, the food was still delicious.

  • 8:00 PM - Pre-Sleep Ritual (and Epic Fail): A hot shower, a new book, and a desperate plea to the sleep gods. I did not think I would sleep.

  • 10:00 PM - Insomnia Strikes Part II: Toss, turn, repeat. This is going to be a long night. Why did I drink so much water?

Day 2: Madras - Where the Road Trip Gets Real

  • 7:00 AM - Sunrise Surrender (Or Lack Thereof): Remember how I was going to wake up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed? Yeah, that plan went as well as my ability to parallel park. Dragged myself out of bed, feeling like I’d wrestled a bear.

  • 8:00 AM - Breakfast Blues (and Bacon Bliss): Free breakfast at the Inn, which was the saving grace of the morning. The coffee, however, was… well, let’s just say it tasted like it had been brewed in a swamp. The bacon, though. Crispy, salty, perfect bacon. Ate a small mountain of it.

  • 9:00 AM - The Deschutes Adventure (or Attempted Adventure): I was planning a scenic drive, maybe some hiking, to the Deschutes National Forest. But I was so very unprepared. I have no water, no snacks, terrible driving, and a vague idea of where I was going. I felt a pang of existential dread at the thought of the Oregon wilderness.

  • 11:00 AM - The Great Return to the Inn (with a Side of Self-Loathing): The road trip was a monumental fail. Decided to drive back to the Inn and cry for a bit.

  • 12:00 PM - Lunch of Champions (aka Netflix and Leftovers): I had a half-eaten sandwich in the fridge. Netflix was beckoning me.

  • 1:00 PM - The Pool Predicament: The Inn has a pool. I donned my swimsuit. The pool area was… empty. It was more of a plunge pool. It really was. But I couldn't resist the idea of jumping and cooling off.

  • 3:00 PM - Bookshop Bliss: There's a local bookstore in Madras, and I made it my mission to go, or else I would be a total failure. The bookstore was tiny but packed with charm. Found an incredible biography of a woman who hiked the Appalachian Trail. Bought it. I am now living vicariously through her.

  • 6:00 PM - The Dinner Dilemma, Round Two: I did not want fast food again. Thought of venturing elsewhere, decided the local pizza place looked too busy. So I walked down the street and bought a salad.

  • 7:00 PM - The Room Rant (or Appreciation Moment?): Back in the room. The room felt cozy. I really love the calm.

  • 9:00 PM - Bedtime, Take Two (and the Unending Struggle): Another attempt at sleep. Meditating. Listening to a sleep app. Nothing works… except maybe the thought of the crispy bacon.

Day 3: Madras - the Goodbye. Maybe.

  • 6:00 AM - The Dawn of Despair (or Maybe Optimism?): Woke up with the birds, which in this case were chirping like they'd been mainlining espresso. A new day… maybe a new me? (Highly doubtful.)

  • 8:00 AM - Breakfast & Departure: That bacon beckoned. I even managed a (slightly successful) attempt at making my own coffee.

  • 10:00 AM - Check-out Shenanigans: Check-out was easy. I said my goodbyes and thanked the nice employees.

  • 10:15 AM - The Drive Home (and the Existential Crisis): On the way, I noticed the mountains were still there. I started wondering where I actually wanted to go.

  • 2:00 PM - The End? (Maybe Not): Back to reality. Well at least I think.

Final Thoughts:

Madras, Oregon, and the Inn at Cross Keys Station, were a mixed bag. The place could use some livening up. But I got to relax. I had some pretty good meals. I found a good book. I also, battled the demons of insomnia and existential angst. Honestly? It was a real human experience. I would be back if I ever passed through again.

Escape to Paradise: Unforgettable Snowind Cottages in Shimla!

Book Now

Inn at Cross Keys Station Madras (OR) United States

Inn at Cross Keys Station Madras (OR) United States

Uncover the Hidden Gem: Inn at Cross Keys Station – Madras, OR's Best Kept Secret! (Well, Maybe Not So Secret Anymore... I'm Talking!)

Okay, spill the beans! Is this place *really* a "best kept secret"? Because I've seen the Instagram ads...

Alright, alright! You got me. The "secret" part is probably a *liiiittle* bit of marketing fluff these days. I mean, I found it, and then my friend found it, and then her friend found it... and now *you* found it. But listen, for the *area*? Absolutely. It's a breath of fresh air in a town that's got... yeah... it's got its own vibe. This place? It's *charm*. Think old train station turned into a cute little oasis. And yes, the Instagram photos don't lie. It's actually *prettier* in person. I swear, the lighting is magical – better than my own house (which is saying something, considering I've got those fancy LED strips that are supposed to mimic the sun, but mostly just give me a headache).

What's the deal with the "train station" thing? Is it actually *in* a train station? Are there trains?! Please say yes to trains!

Okay, okay, slow down, choo-choo breath! Yes! *Kind of*. The building *was* a train depot back in the day. Like, way back. We're talking steam engine era. (My history knowledge is a bit rusty, but you get the picture.) And, NO, there aren't any actual trains running *through* the lobby. Sadly. (I would TOTALLY live in the constant rumble.) However, there's still a real train track nearby, and the whole area is just... *vintage*. The owners haven't gone full-on historical reenactment, which is great. They've kept the character, but it's comfy-modern. You won't find any dusty suitcases or people dressed in bonnets (though, I wouldn't *completely* object to a bonnet).

Alright, so what are the rooms *actually* like? I'm picturing tiny, creaky, and... well, not what I want.

Creaky? Nope! Tiny? Depends. They have different room sizes. I stayed in the "Conductor's Suite," which, let me tell you, was worth the splurge. Super spacious, fireplace, HUGE bed I could have gotten lost in (and almost did – I'm a tosser-and-turner, so my boyfriend had to act like the wall). The smaller rooms… they're still charming, but maybe not if you're planning on trying to do cartwheels. But clean, comfortable, and designed with a lot of thought. Seriously, the decorating is on point. It's that "rustic chic" that I've been trying to imitate in my own apartment but mostly just end up looking like a flea-market explosion because I don't have that *eye*.

Let's talk about the food. Because, let's be real, that's often the *most* important part. Is it good? What's the breakfast situation?

Okay, FOOD. This is where things go from "pretty good" to "OMG, I need to come back just for this." Breakfast? Included, and it’s seriously elevated beyond the usual continental yawn-fest. Think fresh fruit, pastries that actually taste like they were made *today*, and a hot breakfast that changes daily. I had a frittata one morning that was so good I almost licked the plate (I restrained myself, mostly. Okay, I might have licked a *little* bit of the sauce off the side). The coffee? Excellent. The kind that actually wakes you up without making you feel like you're having a heart attack. Dinner availability is limited, but they do some fantastic wine tastings. *And* there are some fun restaurants within a very short drive. This place is a bit out of the center of Madras, but let me tell you the drive allows for a sense of serenity.

I heard something about a "spa" or "wellness" aspect? Is that real, or just marketing fluff? I want the *truth*.

Okay, the *truth*? It depends on your definition of "spa." There isn't a massive, full-service spa with a full menu of services. *However*, they offer in-room massages and spa treatments! I'm telling you, the in-room massage? Absolute HEAVEN. I had a back massage THAT I SWEAR I COULD'VE SLEPT RIGHT THERE. The masseuse was amazing. It was so relaxing that I actually fell asleep mid-massage (that's never happened to me before!). I woke up feeling like a new person. So, if you're looking for total relaxation and pampering, skip the big spas and go with the in-room option! It's intimate, comfortable, and you don't have to deal with the noise and the awkwardness of the communal jacuzzi.

Madras, Oregon - what's there to *do* out there? I don't just sit around a hotel room. Well, sometimes I do...

Right! Okay, Madras isn't exactly a bustling metropolis. It's more like a charming small town that's perfect for relaxing and exploring the surrounding natural beauty. (It's *good* for a weekend getaway - perfect, even!) You're close to Smith Rock State Park, which is a climber's paradise (I'm more of a "sit and watch" person, myself, but the views are spectacular). You can float the Deschutes River. There are some cool art galleries and little shops in town. And, honestly? Just wandering around the hotel and enjoying the peace and quiet of the area is an activity in itself! One of the things I remember the most is the silence. I could hear *nothing.* I'm from the city, and that's worth more than any activity.

Anything I should be aware of before booking? Any hidden cons? Because I'm a cynic at heart.

Okay, Mr. or Ms. Cynic, I hear you! Every place has its downsides. The "cons," as it were? Well, it's not right *in* the middle of bustling Madras, so if you're looking for constant action, this might not be the best choice (although, is that *really* what you want?). If you're a light sleeper, and need absolute silence, maybe grab some earplugs. And, honestly, it's so good, it books up fast! So plan ahead, okay? Other than that? Not much. (I'm trying *really* hard to find something negative to say, but I'm struggling... okay, the only thing is that the wine at the wine tasting was a tad expensive, but hey, it's wine! What did I expect?)

Final verdict? Would you go back? And would *you* recommend it? Be honest.

Hotel Hop Now

Inn at Cross Keys Station Madras (OR) United States

Inn at Cross Keys Station Madras (OR) United States

Inn at Cross Keys Station Madras (OR) United States

Inn at Cross Keys Station Madras (OR) United States

Comments

Popular posts from this blog