Mount Gambier Getaway: Unwind at Comfort Inn The Lakes!

Mount Gambier Getaway: Unwind at Comfort Inn The Lakes!
Mount Gambier Getaway: Comfort Inn The Lakes - My Honest (& Slightly Messy) Take!
Alright, folks, let's be real. Planning a trip to Mount Gambier? You're probably thinking, “Caves? Volcanic craters? Maybe a cheese factory?” And you're spot-on! But where do you sleep? Well, I've just stumbled out of the Comfort Inn The Lakes, and I'm here to give you the lowdown. Forget the glossy brochure – this is the real deal, with all the quirks and (occasional) imperfections.
First Impressions & Location, Location, Location!
Driving up, it's… well, it's a Comfort Inn. You know the vibe. Clean, functional, not exactly the Taj Mahal, but perfectly respectable. Accessibility seemed good from what I saw (important for some of you, right?). There's a lift, and the common areas seemed relatively easy to navigate. They also have a car park [free of charge] which is a HUGE bonus. Nobody wants to spend their holiday battling for a parking space, trust me. Plus, it's set in a pretty quiet area, still close to all the action. The car park [on-site] is a cinch too, so if you're getting those bags out of the car and taking them to your room, you're going to be pleased.
Let's Talk Rooms! (Prepare for Rambling!)
My room? (Trying to remember…) Oh yeah! Clean. That’s the key word. Cleanliness and safety seem to be a priority, which, in this day and age, is a huge relief. The bed? Pretty comfy – the extra long bed was a serious win, I’m tellin’ ya. You get the usual suspects: air conditioning, coffee/tea maker (essential, people!), free Wi-Fi (thank god, I'm a digital hermit), and a refrigerator. The bathrobes and slippers were a nice touch, even if I felt a bit like I was playing hotel guest. The soundproofing was pretty decent, even though I could hear my neighbor snoring - not a dealbreaker though. The window that opens? A simple pleasure, letting in fresh air. I didn't quite take in all of the amenities, but it's safe to say the internet access – wireless and internet access – LAN were working perfectly. I think you'll find the other options, like daily housekeeping and room sanitization opt-out available, were just what I wanted.
And hey, the non-smoking rooms are actually non-smoking! (A small victory for humanity.) They also have interconnecting room(s) available, great for families. And you know, all the usual: alarm clock, desk, iron and board, the works. Really, no complaints on the room front, no real gripes. It's a perfectly functional and clean space to chill out.
This Is Where It Get's Interesting: The Spa & Relaxation? (More Rambling!)
Okay, so the website said they had a spa. And the photos looked… aspirational. Now bear in mind, I’m not a spa-going kind of gal – I usually just take a long bath with a book and call it a day. But I figured, hey, “sauna, steamroom, spa/sauna”… sounds fancy!
I went to the spa. It was clean, yeah… It was fine… but… the sauna never turned on. I mean, never! It’s like all the heat was sucked out of the building! I tried the foot bath, which was nice for about 3 minutes. The biggest draw was the pool with view, which was the only part I actually enjoyed. I took a dip in the swimming pool [outdoor] and it was a great experience overall. In the end, it was all pretty "meh" to be honest. I can imagine it's great after a long drive, though.
But, the fitness center? I didn’t go to the gym, but yeah, it’s there, I could see it through the glass. As far as massage, body scrub, or body wrap they don't have it, sorry to say. I felt a mild sense of disappointment for the spa, let's just say that.
Food, Glorious Food! (And Some Honest Gripes)
Breakfast. Ah, the breakfast. They offer breakfast [buffet]. The options? Well, they're there, the Western breakfast was on offer, as was an Asian breakfast. I went for the buffet. Standard fare. Scrambled eggs a bit dry, sausages a touch… rubbery. The coffee was… coffee. The breakfast takeaway service is a win if you're in a rush, though. The restaurants on site offer both a la carte in restaurant and buffet in restaurant with an Asian cuisine in restaurant on offer - they're pretty good.
I did get a bottle of water in my room, that was a very thoughtful touch.
The poolside bar was handy, but I was wishing for a bit more of a cocktail selection. They also have a snack bar, which is good if you're having a busy day exploring.
On the plus side, the Coffee shop has a very nice selection of drinks.
Safety First! (And Let's Be Realistic)
I was reassured by the fact that they seem to have CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, smoke alarms, and fire extinguisher. There's a doctor/nurse on call, a first aid kit, hand sanitizer everywhere, and seriously diligent anti-viral cleaning products. They clearly take cleanliness and safety seriously, which I really appreciated. Plus lots of individually-wrapped food options. They also have staff trained in safety protocol and the daily disinfection in common areas.
Things to DO! (Beyond the Walls)
Mount Gambier is all about the outdoors. The Blue Lake, the Umpherston Sinkhole, those caves… you’ve got a winner on your hands with things to do around here.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things
They offer all the usual suspects: concierge (didn’t use it, but they're there!), daily housekeeping, laundry service, dry cleaning, luggage storage, and a convenience store. The elevator is a godsend (remember, the lift!), and there’s facilities for disabled guests. And thankfully, the Wi-Fi for special events is great! The invoice provided when you check out is handy, and, yes, there’s air conditioning in public area.
For the Kids! (Because, Family!)
They don’t have babysitting service, but it seemed like a family/child friendly place. Good news if you've got the mini-me's in tow.
The "Meh" Bits (Where It Could Improve)
The "vibe" in the common areas felt a bit… generic. Not bad, just… plain. Could use some more personality. The internet, although good, sometimes dropped out when I needed it most. But hey, you’re there to be outside, not to be glued to your tablet, right?
The Upshot: My Recommendation
Look, the Comfort Inn The Lakes isn’t going to win any awards for “Most Instagrammable Hotel Ever.” But it is clean, comfortable, and conveniently located. For the price, it’s a solid choice. I'd recommend it for families, couples, and solo travellers who want a comfortable basecamp to explore Mount Gambier.
My Offer (Because Everyone Loves a Bargain!)
Ready to Unwind and Explore Mount Gambier? Book your stay at Comfort Inn The Lakes now and get a FREE complimentary drink at the poolside bar AND early check-in (subject to availability!) This offer is only valid for bookings made through [INSERT YOUR WEBSITE/AFFILIATE LINK HERE]!
Final Verdict: 7.5/10 (Would Stay Again!)
Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Mobilhome Awaits in La Tremblade, France!
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, 'cause we're diving headfirst into my Mount Gambier adventure. And let me tell you, it wasn't all postcard-perfect… more like a slightly-damaged, but still lovely, postcard. This is my absolute, unvarnished experience at the Comfort Inn The Lakes. Prepare for feels.
Day 1: Arrival and The Great Cave Dilemma (aka, I'm a cave virgin!)
- Morning (6:00 AM): Wake up. Groan. Coffee. Realise I packed like I was moving to Mars – three kinds of sunscreen, but only one pair of comfy socks. This does not bode well. Actually, wait. Scratch that. I do have an extra pair of socks. Crisis averted.
- Getting There (7:00 AM - 10:00 AM): God, the drive. The scenery was… well, it was there. The kind of scenery that makes you zone out only to jolt awake when you realise you've been staring at a cow for five minutes. The car, with all the luggage and the groceries, was a mess. 100% unorganized. We stopped at every single rest stop. I swear, I went to the bathroom 4 times, that's like… 2 hours of bathroom time!
- Check-in at Comfort Inn The Lakes (10:30 AM): Okay, first impressions: clean. Really clean. I'm a sucker for freshly-cleaned hotel rooms (though the thought of who else enjoyed this freshness gives me the creepy crawlies). The front desk lady was an angel, bless her. She upgraded our room. Huzzah! More space for my rapidly-expanding collection of snacks.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Cave exploration time! I've never been in a cave before. I’m equal parts excited and terrified. We'd planned to visit the Tantanoola Caves. But… closed. Apparently, "unforeseen circumstances." Cue internal meltdown. I mean, caves are the thing to do, right? I was already picturing myself, a brave explorer, navigating the depths. Now, I'm just… lost. We improvised and went to the Engelbrecht Cave because it was close.
- Engelbrecht Cave (2:30 PM): Seriously now, the cave. The cave itself was… okay. It was damp. And dark. And a little bit claustrophobic, if I'm honest. More like a hole in the ground than a majestic cavern. I'm being dramatic. Okay, I'm admitting it. I screamed a little when a spider the size of my thumb decided to make an appearance. I was so worried, then when my guide made a joke about it, I laughed too loud. The whole experience was a jumble of wonder and mild panic.
- Evening (6:30 PM): Dinner at a local pub. Pub food is a comfort, right? Wrong. The parma was dry, the chips were sad. I'm not a food critic of any sort, but this was not the finest hour for Australian cuisine and it cost me a full $40! I whined to my travel companion the whole time.
- Evening (8:30 PM): Back to the hotel. Comfy bed. Bliss. Until I remembered I left my phone charger in the other bag. Ugh, the small things!
Day 2: The Blue Lake and The Great Parking Incident (aka, I'm an idiot)
- Morning (7:00 AM): Wake up. Coffee. Contemplate life. Realise I need to find a phone charger.
- Breakfast (8:00 AM): The included breakfast was… functional. The kind of breakfast that fills the void, not necessarily the soul. The coffee was fine, the toast was toast.
- Blue Lake (9:30 AM): Now This. THIS was the reason I came. The Blue Lake. HOLY MOLY! The colour! It was unreal. I mean, photos don’t even do it justice. It's such a surreal shade of blue. I stood there, mouth agape, for a good ten minutes. Maybe longer. I may have shed a tear. Okay, I definitely did.
- The Great Parking Incident (11:00 AM): There was a big tour bus and after circling the parking lot like a lost vulture, I saw a spot! Score! I thought I did a great job. Until I realized I was blocking an exit! The other driver honked at me. I turned red. My face heated up, I said sorry. I looked like a fool.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM): Lunch at another cafe. This one was better. I needed something to lift my spirits after the parking debacle.
- The Umpherston Sinkhole (2:30 PM): Another "must-see." Actually, it was pretty cool. Giant sinkhole! Greenery! Cute little possums! I was feeling the "adventure" again. I may have taken a few pictures of me getting closer to the animals, which I definitely shouldn't have done.
- Evening (6:00 PM): Back to the hotel to write this diary. I'm going to collapse.
Day 3: Departure and The End of an Era (aka, I needed this)
- Morning (7:00 AM): Wake up. Final breakfast. The same as yesterday.
- Wrapping Up (8:30 AM): Packing. Saying goodbye to the comfy bed.
- Departure (10 AM): The drive back was nice. This time the scenery was appreciated, and I didn't shout at a cow or get lost in the bathroom.
- Reflections: Mount Gambier. It was a mixed bag. Ups and downs, moments of majestic beauty, moments of utter idiocy. I came, I saw, I conquered (ish). But one thing is for sure – I needed this. I’m going to have to come back.

Mount Gambier Getaway: Unwind at Comfort Inn The Lakes! (Or, My Brain's Already on Island Time)
Okay, so Comfort Inn The Lakes... Is It Actually Near the Lakes? Because Google Maps lies, and I'm suspicious.
The Rooms: Cozy? Cramped? Did you find actual *space*? Did you get a decent night's sleep? Did it smell like bleach or stale cigarettes? Crucial intel.
And the sleep? Oh. My. Goodness. I'm a notorious insomniac. I blame the caffeine, the existential dread, you name it. But the bed? Pure, fluffy, cloud-like bliss. I legitimately slept for like, eight solid hours. I almost didn't even wake up for breakfast (which, spoiler alert: I *highly* recommend). This is a major win in my book, mainly because I was ready to trade my firstborn for a few hours of shut-eye before the trip.
Breakfast! Always the most important question. What's the deal? Continental buffet? Full hot breakfast? Did they have decent coffee? (This is, like, *essential*.)
The coffee? Okay, here's the truth. I'm a coffee snob. A full-blown, 'will-travel-miles-for-a-decent-latte' kind of coffee snob. The coffee was... good. Not life-changing, mind you. But certainly drinkable. I may have snuck an extra cup or two. They did have a fancy coffee machine which I was too scared to use, so I just stuck with the regular plunger coffee. It's better than the 'burnt tar' I've encountered in other places, so, a win!
Activities! What did you actually DO in Mount Gambier besides sleep and eat breakfast? Anything worth getting off the couch for?
After that, I did a bit of exploring. The Umpherston Sinkhole – a sunken garden – is an absolute must-see. It was one of the best spots for photos I've ever seen. Seriously, go! Don't miss it! The other stuff? Caves (boring, I'm not a spelunker!), the Cave Gardens are interesting (though a bit windy), and some other random things. (Oh, and the local wineries, of course!) But back on the sinkhole, even my friend who isn't a huge nature person seemed to really enjoy it.
The Staff - Were they friendly? Helpful? Did they judge you for wearing pyjamas to breakfast? (Asking for a friend...)
Any downsides? Anything you *didn't* love? Spill the tea! (Or the coffee, I guess.)
So, would you recommend it? The *real* question...


Comments
Post a Comment