Icelandic Horse Adventure: Hestaland Guesthouse Farm Stay in Borgarnes!

Hestaland Guesthouse Horse Farm Stay Borgarnes Iceland

Hestaland Guesthouse Horse Farm Stay Borgarnes Iceland

Icelandic Horse Adventure: Hestaland Guesthouse Farm Stay in Borgarnes!

Icelandic Horse Adventure: Hestaland Guesthouse Farm Stay - Borgarfjörður Edition: Real Talk (and Maybe Horse Hair)

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to spill the beans (and maybe some Icelandic horse hay) on Hestaland Guesthouse Farm Stay. Let me be clear: this isn't your sterile, cookie-cutter hotel review. This is a real account, warts and all, from someone who's actually been there, felt the wind whip across their face, and possibly smelled a little…well, farmy.

First, the Basics (But Not Boring):

Hestaland is smack-dab in the middle of the Borgarfjörður region, Iceland. Think epic landscapes, glistening waterfalls, and a whole lot of, you guessed it, horses. This place is all about the experience, and trust me, that's a good thing.

Accessibility & the "Can I Get There?" Factor:

Now, about accessibility. Honestly, this is something I noticed mostly at the entrance and the common areas, mostly due to the age of the property and there are some uneven surfaces around the farm—it is a farm, after all. I'd recommend contacting the hotel before you book to discuss your specific needs. That said, once inside, the restaurant and many rooms seemed doable for those with limited mobility. They are definitely trying, and that counts for a lot. In the dining room, some rooms have exterior doors, and there is also an elevator to move between floors.

Rooms, Rooms, Glorious Rooms – And the Wi-Fi Hype:

  • Free Wi-Fi, Everywhere!: Yes, that's right. In every room, in the common areas, even (dare I say it?) possibly in the stables! The Wi-Fi was surprisingly good, which is a small miracle in rural Iceland. I even managed to stream a movie (because, you know, research).
  • The Details that Matter: The rooms themselves were clean, warm, and comfortable. I had an extra long bed, which was fantastic because I'm 6'2" and there were plenty rooms with private bathrooms, and the shower pressure was actually decent (a rare find, sometimes!). Plus, blackout curtains! Crucial for those midnight sun shenanigans. They've got everything you need: a coffee maker, fridge, little desk to get some work done. Don't expect the Ritz, but expect a cozy, functional space.
  • Noise? Soundproof rooms, but mostly just quiet. The Iceland countryside is naturally peaceful.

Food, Glorious Food (and the Occasional Surprise):

  • Breakfast Bonanza: Breakfast is included. No complaints there. The breakfast buffet was a decent spread: fresh bread, cheeses, yogurt, cereal, and sometimes, oddly enough, a pre-made omelet (sometimes a bit sad, but hey, free is free).
  • Dinner Delights & Dining Options: Hestaland has a restaurant serving up International cuisine. Think hearty, comforting meals – perfect after a day of exploring. The local lamb dishes are a must-try. They also sometimes have themed nights, which adds a little bit of spice.
  • Coffee Corner: Coffee/tea in the restaurant always with a coffee shop available.
  • Snack Attack: There's a Snack bar always handy!

Things to Do (Beyond The Obvious Horseback Riding):

Okay, here's where Hestaland truly shines: it's the experience.

  • Horseback Riding: Duh. This is the main event, of course. They have fantastic Icelandic Horses and experienced guides. The guides actually care about the horses, which warms my cynical heart. Even as a newbie, I felt safe and confident—and the views from horseback are just breathtaking. Riding across the Icelandic plains, even in the drizzle, is an experience you won't soon forget.
  • Relaxation: Spa/Steamroom and Sauna are available. I didn't get to have a body wrap.
  • Getting Around: I recommend having a rental car, because it frees you of the travel agency chains. It's the best way to explore the area at your own pace. They have a free car par and can arrange an airport transfer too.

Cleanliness & Safety: The COVID-19 Edition:

  • Safely Surrounded: Hestaland is pretty dedicated to cleanliness and safety to the max. Hand sanitizer is everywhere, and the staff all wear masks. Rooms sanitized between stays, safe dining setup, professionally sanitized - really, they're doing everything they can.
  • Cashless payment? Cashless payment service is super helpful.

Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Make a Difference:

  • Helpful Hands: The staff at Hestaland are friendly, helpful, and actually seem to care about your experience. They went out of their way to answer my questions, offer advice, and generally make me feel welcome.
  • Important Extras: Daily housekeeping? Check. Laundry service? Check. Luggage storage? Check. The little things all add up.

For The Kids & Extras!

  • Family Friendly: Kids facilities are available. They're a welcome hotel for families.

The Quirks, the Imperfections, and the Honest Truths:

  • The Farm Smell (It's a Good Thing): Yes, there's a faint farm smell. It's part of the charm, honestly. Embrace it.
  • Hotel Chain? It's not a big, impersonal hotel chain, which I love.
  • The Beauty of the Unplanned: There were moments when I felt utterly lost in the wilderness, or had a bad meal (just kidding.) That's Iceland. That's Hestaland. It's not always perfect, but the imperfections are what make it memorable.

The Verdict & A Compelling Offer (for You!):

Alright, here's the deal: If you're looking for a genuinely Icelandic experience, a chance to connect with nature, and to ride some amazing horses, Hestaland Farm Stay is a fantastic choice. They offer:

  • FREE Wi-Fi
  • Free Car park
  • Breakfast Buffet
  • Horseback riding and amazing hiking in the area
  • Cleanliness & Safety

My Final Recommendation: Book it. Seriously. Pack your waterproofs, your sense of adventure, and prepared to be enchanted. You won't regret it.

Escape to Finnish Paradise: Sokos Seurahuone Kotka Awaits!

Book Now

Hestaland Guesthouse Horse Farm Stay Borgarnes Iceland

Hestaland Guesthouse Horse Farm Stay Borgarnes Iceland

Okay, buckle up, buttercup. This isn't your perfectly curated Instagram grid. This is a real travel plan, forged in the fires of my own neurotic tendencies and fueled by an unhealthy love of Icelandic horses. Welcome to Hestaland!

Hestaland Guesthouse Horse Farm - Iceland: A Messy Adventure

Day 1: Arrival and Existential Dread (Borgarnes Bound!)

  • Morning (ish… because jet lag): Land at Keflavik. Holy moly, the airport is HUGE. And I'm already convinced I've forgotten something vital. My passport? My sanity? Probably both. Grab that tiny rental car (pray it survives the Icelandic roads) and pray to the gods of navigation that Google Maps doesn't lead me into the sea. The drive to Borgarnes is supposed to be beautiful. I'll try to appreciate it through the fog of exhaustion.
  • Afternoon: Arrive at Hestaland! Okay, first impressions: adorable. Rolling hills, horses everywhere, the wind whipping my hair into a frenzy. Check in? Easy peasy. Bjarni (the owner? I think?) greeted me with a smile and a cup of something warm. Now, the room. Simple. Clean. Perfect. But… is that a faint HORSE SMELL?!? Maybe it’s just a farm, you know? Embrace the smell.
  • Evening: My stomach is rumbling something wicked. I have a small "kitchenette" and a shop to go shopping to find some meals for myself. Oh, the beauty of not needing to dress up to go to a dinner.
  • Observation: The sheer vastness of Iceland is already hitting me. It's… humbling. And slightly terrifying. I need a hug. Maybe from a horse.

Day 2: Horse Crazy! (Or, My Quest to Become a Centaur)

  • Morning: Horseback riding!!!! I’m not a skilled rider. I have a vague memory of a riding lesson from when I was 10. That's it. But the anticipation is KILLING me. Hestaland's got those famous Icelandic horses, the ones with the extra gait. Bjarni (again! Lovely man) introduces me (and about 3 other people) to our steeds. Mine is called… Ísólfur. He seems…judgemental.
  • Afternoon: Holy Mother of Mercy, that tölt! It's like floating on air. I CAN RIDE! (Sort of). We're trotting (mostly), the landscape unfolds like a postcard. The wind is biting, the sun is shining, my cheeks are frozen. I’m grinning like a maniac. I feel… free. We had a stop to take in the landscapes, and it was simply amazing. Iceland is a place of endless beauty, and the horses are an integral part of the land.
  • Late Afternoon: Feeding time! Helping out with the horses. They're big, but also incredibly gentle, like giant, furry teddy bears. Ísólfur gets a special scratch behind his ears. We connected. I swear.
  • Evening: I'm absolutely knackered. Shower, eat some instant noodles (culinary genius, I am), and collapse in bed. The horse smell is… less noticeable. Success!

Day 3: Lost in Translation (and a Mountain?)

  • Morning: Breakfast. The usual, with some local jams. Today off to do a hike on a nearby mountain. The air is crisp, the views are supposed to be epic.
  • Afternoon: Ah, the hike. Now, Iceland's beauty is undeniable, but its directions? Less so. I may or may not have gotten slightly turned around. (Okay, massively lost.) The wind picked up, the clouds rolled in, and I started to question all my life choices. Eventually, I found the trail again. The views were worth it. The descent was a leg-burner.
  • Evening: Dinner at a small restaurant in Borgarnes. The food is delicious, but the menu… my Icelandic is non-existent. Pointing and praying is my strategy. I ask for a beer. It arrives. I'm happy.

Day 4: Chasing Waterfalls and Epiphanies (or, The Day I Briefly Considered Farming)

  • Morning: Waterfall day! Heading to (insert waterfall name here – I haven't decided yet. I'm spontaneous). The drive promises more stunning scenery. I'm a little better at navigating, though I still get distracted by anything sheep-related.
  • Afternoon: The waterfall. It's… majestic. The power! The roar! The spray! I stand there, stunned, just taking it all in. Iceland just has a way of making you feel insignificant in the best way possible, while also making you feel very much alive.
  • Late Afternoon: A farm tour! I think I'm going to like this life. Cows are cute, the grass is pretty, and you get to work in the beauty of nature. (Okay, realistic, I have a full-time job, and my mom is not going to like this.)
  • Evening: Back at Hestaland. Packing up and reflecting. This trip… it's been good. It's been messy. It's been humbling. I'm exhausted, exhilarated, and already planning my return.

Day 5: Farewell, Fjords, and… I’m Home!

  • Morning: Sadly, final breakfast. Saying goodbye to Bjarni (a hug to the horse, maybe?), and hitting the road back to the airport.
  • Afternoon: The flight home. I'm already plotting my next adventure.

P.S.

  • Weather: Pack layers. Always layers. And waterproof everything. Seriously.
  • Food: Stock up on snacks. And be prepared for some sticker shock at the grocery store.
  • People: The Icelanders are lovely. Don't be shy – ask for help if you need it.
  • Seriously: This isn't a "perfect" itinerary. It is what I am thinking about, and my own experience. It's likely to be changed at any time, and that's okay. Go with the flow. Get lost. Laugh. Embrace the chaos. And most importantly… bring a good book (for the airport, the car, the inevitable moments of quiet wonder).
Antalya's Golden Beryl Dream Home: Your Paradise Awaits!

Book Now

Hestaland Guesthouse Horse Farm Stay Borgarnes Iceland

Hestaland Guesthouse Horse Farm Stay Borgarnes Iceland

Icelandic Horse Adventure: Hestaland Guesthouse Farm Stay - Your Burning Questions Answered (Probably!)

Okay, so... Hestaland. What *is* it exactly? I'm picturing hobbits and Viking longboats. Is that accurate?

Alright, deep breaths. It's a farm. An *Icelandic* farm, where they breed, well, you guessed it, Icelandic horses! And it's a guesthouse. So, think cozy Icelandic vibes meets equine awesomeness. You *might* see some Vikings in your dreams (they’re a pretty popular theme in this part of the world), but hobbits? Probably not. Although, the horses *are* pretty darn cute and fluffy... so maybe a little resemblance?

My first impression wasn't the rolling hills of picture books. It was the wind. Sweet mother of Thor, the wind! It whipped around me like a mischievous spirit, messing up my hair and making me question my life choices (all good signs). Finding it felt like an adventure in itself. I swear, I took a wrong turn *twice* and ended up face-to-face with a very judgmental sheep. They're everywhere.

And the horses! They're just... special. It wasn't just the fluffy manes and the five gaits (more on that later!). It was the spirit of them. You could see it in their eyes, feel it in their little, bouncy trots. I swear one of them winked at me. Maybe. Maybe it was just the wind again.

I'm a complete novice. Can I even ride a horse? Like, without falling off and crying?

Yes, you can! Don't worry. These horses are pretty chill. Hestaland caters to all levels. I personally hadn't ridden since I was, like, eight, and let me tell you, I was a little intimidated. Okay, a LOT intimidated. But the guides are amazing. Patient. Kind. They don’t judge you for clinging on for dear life (at least, not to your face!).

The first few minutes were a blur of "sit up straight," "heels down," and a silent internal scream. I was convinced I'd break a rib. But then... something clicked. That *feeling* of being up high, of being connected to this amazing creature… It's intoxicating. And the view! Oh, the view!

There was this *one* guy on my tour, bless his heart. He was terrified. And he confessed it. Right there, in front of everyone. It was incredibly human. He was, however, on that horse for a solid 15 minutes before finally letting his guard down and actually enjoying himself. He was the last to dismount; you could tell he didn’t want to leave. It was beautiful. And it gave me hope! And if he could do it, so could I. And so can you.

Five gaits? What in the horse-shaped world is that?

Okay, buckle up. Icelandic horses are special. They have, get this, *five* gaits instead of the usual three. You’ve got your walk, trot, canter, and then… the *tölt* and the *flying pace*! The tölt is their special move - it’s a super smooth, four-beat gait. It's like riding on a cloud!

I was initially confused. I thought they all went the same way as a normal horse. The guide, bless her heart, she tried to explain the differences. But... I was terrible at the beginning. I just wanted to get on and not fall off. But one of the tours, it was like something clicked. Now I'm not saying I'm a professional, but I could *sort of* feel the difference. The tölt is like a smoother, easier ride. The flying pace? I'm still working on that!

What's the accommodation like? Is it all rustic and freezing?

Not at all! While it’s definitely got that charming, farm-style vibe, it's also cozy and warm. Think comfy beds, clean rooms, and a shower that… *works!* (a very important detail, trust me). You will find a mix of rooms: private and dorm-style.

My room? The walls were thick, the bed was cozy, and the view from the window! The sunrise! It was unbelievable. I definitely had a good night's sleep there.

The communal areas were great for chatting with other guests and just chilling out. Plus, the food... don't even get me started.

Food? Is it all just… sheep? (I’m not a huge sheep person).

No! While you might see some sheep wandering around (they like to photobomb everything, honestly), the food at Hestaland is delicious and varied. They use fresh ingredients and cater to dietary restrictions. (But do try the lamb! It’s actually incredible.)

Okay, okay, I'll level with you. I *am* a huge sheep person. The lamb was incredible! But they had other stuff that was fantastic too. Fish fresh from the sea? Check. Hearty stews? Check. Scrumptious desserts? Double check! What I loved most was the family-style meals. Sitting around a big table, chatting with fellow riders, and sharing stories. You really feel like part of the family.

The one thing I struggled with? The coffee. It’s strong. Really strong. I’m pretty sure it could power a small city. But hey, it's Iceland, right? You need all the energy you can get.

What else is there to do besides ride horses? I’m not sure I could fill an entire trip doing *just* that.

Good question! Hestaland is in a prime location for exploring the area. You can hike, explore waterfalls, visit the Snaefellsnes Peninsula (seriously, go!), and even go whale watching! They can help you arrange trips and tours.

I went chasing waterfalls. Literally. They're everywhere and they're ridiculously gorgeous. And the driving! You get such a different perspective from the back of the car. The guides are amazing, they can recommend loads of different places.

Any tips to survive the Icelandic weather? I’ve heard it can be… *unpredictable*.

Layers, layers, layers! Waterproof and windproof outerwear is a must. So is a hat, gloves, and a scarf. The weather can go from sunshine to blizzard in five minutes. Seriously.

I learned this the hard way. I thought I was prepared. I wasn't. On one particularly windy day, I looked like a drowned rat. The wind was coming right through my cheap jacket, and I nearly lostWeb Hotel Search Site

Hestaland Guesthouse Horse Farm Stay Borgarnes Iceland

Hestaland Guesthouse Horse Farm Stay Borgarnes Iceland

Hestaland Guesthouse Horse Farm Stay Borgarnes Iceland

Hestaland Guesthouse Horse Farm Stay Borgarnes Iceland

Comments

Popular posts from this blog