Escape to Luxury: The Westin Calgary Airport - Your Calgary Getaway Awaits!

The Westin Calgary Airport Calgary (AB) Canada

The Westin Calgary Airport Calgary (AB) Canada

Escape to Luxury: The Westin Calgary Airport - Your Calgary Getaway Awaits!

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the Westin Calgary Airport. Forget those sterile, PR-polished reviews. I'm here to give you the real deal, the messy, the beautiful, the slightly-hungover-after-a-long-flight truth. "Escape to Luxury: The Westin Calgary Airport - Your Calgary Getaway Awaits!"… well, let's see if it delivers on that promise, shall we?

First Impressions (and a Mild Panic)

Okay, so, the airport. Not exactly the glamorous starting point to a "luxury escape," right? But the Westin? It's right there. Literally steps from the arrivals gate. That’s a HUGE win, especially if you, like me, are terrible at navigating the labyrinth that is airport transportation after a transatlantic flight. Getting around is a breeze. You've got Airport transfer options, but honestly, you just… walk. It's glorious. And the Car park [free of charge] is a lifesaver if you’re driving in. Valet parking is available too, for those who prefer a touch of… well, luxury (I’m more of a "find-my-own-spot-and-swear-loudly-if-someone-takes-it" kinda gal, but hey, options!).

Accessibility: More Than Just a Ramp

This is important. The Westin Calgary Airport gets accessibility. I’m seeing this Facilities for disabled guests, and an Elevator. Nice! The website lists accessibility details, which is a good sign. We need to see the Exterior corridor and access in person before making a full-on judgement, but the initial setup gave me a feeling of comfort.

In my Room: The Fortress of Solitude (and Wi-Fi, Praise Be!)

First things first: Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Clap, clap, clap. Because let's be honest, in the 21st century, that's as essential as oxygen. Also, Air conditioning (thank goodness!), and a High floor room (that was a great start!). As for the room itself? It’s… well, it's a Westin. You know the drill: Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Closet… the usual suspects for a well-equipped hotel room. They even have a Desk which is super important if you're the type to work remotely, or for me, a place to set up my "Do Not Disturb" zone.

I was particularly thrilled by the Free bottled water. Small things, people. Small things. I had a view, a decent Window that opens (fresh air! Victory!). The Bed? Oh, the bed. Westin beds are like clouds. I’m not sure how many Extra long beds are available but I would want one!. The Linens were crisp, and a desperate traveler can be a lazy traveler.

And the Internet access – wireless worked perfectly! No fighting with clunky logins or dropped connections. Seriously. That, my friends, is a game changer. The Internet access – LAN is available, too, so if you’re a LAN kinda person, go for it.

The Spa: Promises, Promises… and Potential Relaxation

Alright, let's talk about the Spa. Because, "Escape to Luxury," remember? The Fitness center is there, the Gym/fitness is there, but I really wanted to check out the spa. Pool with view? Sauna? Steamroom? Spa, Spa/sauna? All listed! I’m a sucker for a good massage, but this is a hotel review, not a personal therapy session. So, I made a mental note to hit it up later and see if it lives up to the listing (Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage—bring it on!). More on this later.

Eating and Drinking: Fueling the Adventure (or Just Surviving the Flight)

Okay, food. Essential. And the Westin has options. The main Restaurant and Coffee/tea in restaurant were top-notch, like a proper buffet. And it was a good one, with Breakfast [buffet] and also, Breakfast service. I’m a huge fan of Asian breakfast (because I am a huge fan of noodles), and they had an offering. There was also the usual Western breakfast, and they had an array of Salad in restaurant.

The Poolside bar, is a nice touch if you like that type of thing. Honestly, after a long flight, I'm all about lounging near the pool. Bottle of water is always appreciated. There's also the Room service [24-hour] which is a lifesaver. And in case the food I ate wasn't enough, there's the super-important Snack bar.

Cleanliness and Safety: The New Normal?

Look, let's be real: We're all hyper-aware of this now. The Westin is trying. I saw evidence of Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Staff trained in safety protocol, and Professional-grade sanitizing services. The Rooms sanitized between stays with the Anti-viral cleaning products, which is great. The First aid kit is there in case you get hurt during your time.

Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Make a Difference

Concierge? Check. Daily housekeeping? Double-check. Laundry service? Got it. They had the things that you want and need from your travel time like Dry cleaning, Ironing service, and Luggage storage. There is also the Cash withdrawal service, which is important after spending a long time!

The Westin has a Convenience store. It's not always the cheapest, but it's convenient.

For the Kids: Family-Friendly or Not?

They've got Babysitting service, and they market themselves as Family/child friendly. I didn't have kids with me, so I can't fully vet this, but that's what the website says.

The Verdict: Luxury Escape or Just a Really Nice Layover?

So, is the Westin Calgary Airport a true "Escape to Luxury?" That’s a tough one. It's definitely a fantastic option for a comfortable and convenient stay. Especially if you’re in transit or have an early flight. The location is gold. The beds are heavenly. The cleanliness is reassuring. The Wi-Fi rocks. But if you're picturing some kind of over-the-top, "champagne-showers-with-a-butler" experience, you might be slightly disappointed.

There’s room for improvement. I felt the spa experience was a little bland, it could easily be a little more "luxurious."

My Take: Book It If…

  • You value convenience above all else.
  • You need a comfortable, clean, and well-equipped room near the airport.
  • You appreciate good Wi-Fi.
  • You like a decent buffet breakfast.

Book it Now, Because…

Look, there's some serious convenience here. Especially if you're on a tight schedule or flying in/out of Calgary. The Westin Calgary Airport removes the stress of airport transfers and is easy to access.

Escape to Paradise: Kamoda Resort's Unforgettable Ambikapur Getaway

Book Now

The Westin Calgary Airport Calgary (AB) Canada

The Westin Calgary Airport Calgary (AB) Canada

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't no sterile travel itinerary. This is MY Westin Calgary Airport diary, warts and all. And trust me, there will be warts.

Day 1: Arrival and the Great Luggage Debacle (aka, Calgary, You Were Supposed to Be Easy!)

  • 1:00 PM: Arriving at YYC. Hooray! Sun's shining, mountains are beckoning… Feeling optimistic. Naive, I am. I knew this trip was going to shake me!
  • 1:15 PM: Baggage claim. Anxiety levels commence their slow, insidious climb. Where is my glorious suitcase? The carousel is spitting out a parade of other people's belongings like a vengeful washing machine.
  • 2:00 PM: Still no suitcase. Okay, deep breaths. File a lost baggage claim. The airline agent, bless her heart, looks like she's seen this movie a thousand times. She probably has. She actually starts with, "Welcome to Calgary." Like, welcome to the baggage claim purgatory.
  • 2:30 PM: Taxi to The Westin Calgary Airport. Finally! The hotel looks… well, it looks like a Westin. Clean lines, vaguely corporate serenity. I need that serenity right now.
  • 3:00 PM: Check-in. The room has a decent view, mostly of planes taking off, which is oddly soothing. (And a little taunting, if I'm honest!) I'm already picturing the long, hot shower I'm going to luxuriate in. I've made a pact with myself to allow myself ALL the hotel bathroom products.
  • 3:30 PM: Reality Check! No luggage = No shower. No change of clothes. Just the outfit I've been stewing in since dawn. I am a walking, talking embodiment of airplane-adjacent despair.
  • 4:00 PM: Exploring the hotel. The lobby is nice, but it feels… empty. Kind of like my soul right now. Find the gym, just in case I muster the energy later. Spoiler alert: I won't. Deciding even if I look ridiculous in the hotel robe, I'm going to wear it.
  • 5:00 PM: The hotel restaurant. Okay, this is actually kind of nice. Getting hungry, ordering some basic comfort food. The server asks if I've arrived safely. I smile weakly, mumble, "almost."
  • 6:30 PM: Dinner. Steak! Maybe a little wine will help me forget about all my missing belongings.

Day 2: Cowboy Boots and Calgary's Charm (Maybe?)

  • 7:00 AM: Forced wake-up call. The Westin calls about my luggage. But it's still nowhere to be seen. Sighs. I’m becoming one with the hotel robe.
  • 8:00 AM: Breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The continental spread is… continental. Staring out the window, watching the planes take off. I'm beginning to think they're mocking me.
  • 9:00 AM: Head into downtown Calgary. Taking a taxi, and actually feeling the sunshine!
  • 9:30 AM: The Calgary Tower! The views are incredible. I even feel a tiny spark of awe. The city sprawls out before me, a mix of modern glass and… well, more glass. But okay, it’s undeniably pretty.
  • 11:00 AM: The Saddledome. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but it's impressive. Seeing the immensity of the ice, imagining the roaring crowds.
  • 12:00 PM: Lunch at a cafe downtown. I've embraced the jeans + hotel robe combo because I still haven't showered.
  • 1:30 PM: Finding a Western Wear store. Okay, this is fun! I'm a sucker for anything slightly cowboy-esque. End up trying on about a million different pairs of boots. I find the perfect ones. The cost of these boots… gulp.
  • 3:00 PM: Heading back to the hotel. The boots are heavy, and my feet are killing me.
  • 3:30 PM: The Luggage Arrival! Hallelujah! I have never been happier to see a suitcase in my entire life. I burst into happy tears.
  • 4:00 PM: Finally, a shower! Bliss. It's the most luxurious shower of my life. I use all the hotel products.
  • 5:00 PM: The hotel pool. A quick dip, a little sun. Recovering from the emotional rollercoaster.
  • 7:00 PM: Dinner at the hotel. Celebrating the recovery of my luggage. Finally, I can get properly dressed.
  • 8:00 PM: I'm going to explore the hotel bar. I'm ordering a fancy cocktail. Maybe two. I'm going to enjoy this.

Day 3: Farewell Calgary (and the Ongoing Luggage Drama)

  • 8:00 AM: Wake up feeling rested and surprisingly enthusiastic. I survived! Head down to the front desk to check out.
  • 8:30 AM: Check out, and off to the airport. I'm feeling pretty good.
  • 9:00 AM: Airport security, and now I'm waiting for my flight home.

Okay, so Calgary wasn't perfect. The luggage fiasco was, let's say, a learning experience. But the city? The views? The cowboy boots? They were all pretty amazing. I'd go back… maybe with a backup suitcase this time. And definitely with a more tolerant attitude towards airport baggage handlers. Or maybe not. We'll see.

London's ICONIC Sheraton Grand: Park Lane Luxury Awaits!

Book Now

The Westin Calgary Airport Calgary (AB) Canada

The Westin Calgary Airport Calgary (AB) Canada

Escape to Luxury: The Westin Calgary Airport - Your Calgary Getaway Awaits! - Or Does It? (Let's Get REAL)

Okay, So... Luxury? REALLY?! Is The Westin Calgary Airport ACTUALLY luxurious? Don't just give me the brochure!

Alright, alright, let's ditch the PR jargon, shall we? "Luxury" is a slippery slope, isn't it? Look, it's not a Four Seasons. Let's get that out of the way. But... is it a step up from your average airport hotel? Absolutely. It *tries* to be luxurious. The lobby is impressive - that's where they get you! Big, airy, maybe a little *too* sterile, you know? Like they wiped all the *fun* out of it. But then, you're jet lagged, so maybe sterile is good.

My experience? Well, let me tell you about THAT. I arrived after a red-eye, absolutely *destroyed*. Just wanted a shower that wasn't the size of a shoebox and a bed that didn't feel like a concrete slab. The room? Decent size. The bed? Hugely comfortable. Seriously, I could've stayed in that bed for a week. Almost did. The shower? Better than shoebox. But… and this is a big but… the water took, like, five minutes to warm up. FIVE MINUTES! In the middle of January, a freezing cold shower is… well, a *wake-up call*.

So, luxurious? Ehhh… Comfortable? Yes. A pleasant respite from the horrors of travel? Most definitely. Just temper your expectations. Think "Upscale Airport Hotel," not "Private Island Resort." Though… a private island... NOW *THAT* would be luxurious.

How close IS it to the airport, seriously? Because I've been burned by "close" before.

Okay, this is a *major* selling point. It's practically *in* the airport. Like, walk-across-the-street close. I’m not kidding, you could stumble out of the baggage claim, squint at the snow (because, Calgary), and be in the lobby in, like, five minutes. Assuming you don't get distracted by a particularly compelling Tim Hortons advertising.

The shuttle is supposed to be a thing, but honestly? Skip it. Walk. Fresh air (if you get there during the summer), no waiting, and you can stretch your legs after that cramped flight. Best part? No frantic taxi dash to make your connecting flight. Bliss!

So, yes. Close. Really close.

Speaking of which, the shuttle. Is it any good? Because airport shuttles are the devil's work, usually.

Right. So, I *sort of* addressed this already. I find it difficult to rely on them, especially when tired. Shuttles are a gamble. You're at the mercy of traffic, other passengers, and the driver's… let’s call it *optimistic* interpretation of the route. I *think* the Westin's is alright, clean enough, and I *believe* it runs frequently. But honestly? I haven't bothered. Walking is faster and makes me feel remotely human after a flight. Which, let's be honest, is a small miracle.

My suggestion? If you HAVE luggage, consider waiting for the next trip. If you have little carry-on luggage, just walk. Take the path. It's pretty pleasant, honestly. Especially in the spring. Or fall. Winter is… well, you've been warned. And summer? Still good. Just… bring sunglasses and prepare for a short-but-sweet taste of the Canadian outdoors, which can vary wildly.

What about the food? Their website makes it sound like a culinary paradise. Does the restaurant at The Westin deserve its hype?

Okay, the restaurant. This is where things get… complicated. Is it a culinary paradise? Probably not. Is the food terrible? No. It's… fine. It suffers heavily from the "airport hotel restaurant" syndrome. Convenience is king. The menu is usually decent, though a bit… bland, you know? Safe. Plays it too safe.

I'll tell you a story. I tried the steak once. (I was feeling fancy! After surviving a cramped flight, I deserved it!). Medium-rare, I ordered. It came… *well done*. Now, I’m not one to make a fuss. I'm British, it's practically in my DNA NOT to complain. But... it was a *shoe* of a steak. The side dishes were fine… but the steak? A tragic, flavorless slab. I did eat it; I was starving. But, yeah. That was memorable. Not in a *good* way.

My advice: Don't go in expecting Michelin-star dining. Look for simple, familiar dishes. The breakfast buffet is probably the best, since a buffet is a great way to test the quality of ingredients. Consider it a place to fuel up before or after a flight. And, if you're craving something a little more exciting? Venture outside the hotel. There are options, but they're not exactly within stumbling distance.

Are there any other amenities worth mentioning, like a gym or a pool? Because I need to work the stress out after being in a plane for 15 hours.

Yes! Yes, there is a gym. Thank GOD. After a long travel, you just want to work out the frustration. Its better than nothing. The gym is…well, it’s a gym. It’s stocked with the basics, treadmills, elliptical machines, some weights. Not exactly cutting-edge equipment, but it'll do the trick.

As for the pool… I am not sure if they have one. Check it. Check the hotel. I am pretty sure they had one. I remember a sauna from my visit. Not bad. But you will have look at the details of the hotel. I may have been to other Westin. The memory is all jumbled.

What's the Wi-Fi like? Because I need to check my emails/stream Netflix/save the world.

The Wi-Fi is… adequate. Look, it works. You can probably check emails without wanting to throw your laptop out the window. Streaming? Well, it depends on how many people are also trying to stream. I tried to watch a movie once, and it kept buffering. So I gave up and just turned off the TV and went to sleep. The horror of being alone with my thoughts.

My advice? Download your entertainment beforehand. That way, you’re covered. And be prepared for the occasional Wi-Fi hiccup. It’s an airport hotel; it’s the Wild West of internet connections.

World Wide Inns

The Westin Calgary Airport Calgary (AB) Canada

The Westin Calgary Airport Calgary (AB) Canada

The Westin Calgary Airport Calgary (AB) Canada

The Westin Calgary Airport Calgary (AB) Canada

Comments

Popular posts from this blog