Billings, MT's BEST Kept Secret: Econo Lodge Review (You WON'T Believe This!)

Billings, MT's BEST Kept Secret: Econo Lodge Review (You WON'T Believe This!)
Billings' BEST Kept Secret: The Econo Lodge That Actually Surprised Me (You WON'T Believe This!) - A MESSY, HONEST REVIEW
Okay, so let's be real. When you hear "Econo Lodge" in Billings, Montana, your expectations probably aren't sky-high. I went in expecting… well, let's just say basic. I needed a place to crash for a couple of nights, and the price was right. But guess what? The Econo Lodge in Billings… It. Blew. Me. Away. Now, before you think I'm some shill, I swear, I'm not. I'm just a travel writer who's seen a lot of hotels, and this one… this one's got a vibe.
The Accessibility Angle (and the Elevator That Actually Works!)
First off, let's talk about accessibility. This is HUGE for me. The Econo Lodge actually delivers, folks! They've got elevators (and I'm happy to report, they work!), and the rooms offer Facilities for disabled guests. I didn't personally need to utilize a wheelchair-accessible room, but I peeked, and they looked seriously thoughtfully designed. Wheelchair accessible, absolutely. Plus, they mention Air conditioning in public area, which is a lifesaver in the Montana heat! (Trust me.) They also provide CCTV in common areas and even CCTV outside property which gave me a sense of security, especially as a solo traveler.
Cleanliness and Safety: Feeling Safe, Not Just Claiming To Be
This is where the Econo Lodge really surprised me. Look, in the age of COVID, everyone says they're clean. But this place? They ACTUALLY ARE. They’ve got Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, and Rooms sanitized between stays. I saw the evidence. The staff were masked, and the whole place just smelled… clean. Not a chemical, sterile clean, but a fresh, inviting clean. They even offer Room sanitization opt-out available if you're feeling ultra-cautious. Plus, Hand sanitizer stations are everywhere - like, strategically placed everywhere so you don't have to work to find one. This is a big win in my book. And while I didn't need it, knowing there's a Doctor/nurse on call and a First aid kit readily available is definitely reassuring.
The Room: More Than Just a Bed (And the Wi-Fi Actually Works!)
Okay, so the room. Let's get right to it – the Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! that actually worked, unlike some luxury hotels I've stayed in. I'm talking fast Wi-Fi. I streamed movies, video chatted, and worked without a hitch. Internet access – wireless, Internet access – LAN, they had it all. The room itself? Comfortable. Not luxurious, but clean, well-maintained and with thoughtful touches. The Air conditioning was a welcome relief from the Montana sun. I loved having Blackout curtains - perfect for those long summer evenings. As well as things like Desk, Hair dryer, Ironing facilities, and Coffee/tea maker, they provided a useful place to get work done. They had an In-room safe box which is always a good sign, and Complimentary tea and Free bottled water are small, but thoughtful touches. Daily housekeeping kept everything shipshape.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: More Than Just a Vending Machine (Maybe?)
Okay, so here's the deal. This isn't a gourmet destination. There isn't a Vegetarian restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, or Poolside bar. BUT! There is a Coffee shop and a Snack bar. The big win? The Breakfast service! They offer a Breakfast [buffet], which wasn't the most elaborate, but it was hot, fresh, and kept me going for the morning. They had the basics done perfectly - scrambled eggs, toast, and some yummy pastries.
Services and Conveniences: Beyond the Basics
The Econo Lodge offers a surprisingly robust set of Services and conveniences. They have a Convenience store (lifesaver!), a Cash withdrawal service, Contactless check-in/out, Daily housekeeping, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Ironing service, and Laundry service. They even have a Gift/souvenir shop! Now, the Car park [free of charge] is fantastic. But the real gem? The staff. They were friendly, helpful, and seemed genuinely happy to be there. They went above and beyond.
Things to Do Around BILLINGS & Relaxing at the Lodge
Right, so let's be honest, the Econo Lodge isn't the destination. Billings is. And the lodge is a great launching pad. They don't have much in the way of on-site relaxation, there's no Spa or Sauna here, and the Fitness center is basic, it does the job. There is a Swimming pool [outdoor], which I did not use, but seemed perfectly decent. Plus, there are heaps of things to do in the area.
A Quirky Anecdote That Absolutely Made My Trip
Okay, buckle up, because this is my favorite part. So, I’m checking in, right? It’s late, I'm exhausted. The front desk guy, Mark, is super friendly, super helpful. But here's the kicker: while he's checking me in, he starts whistling. A cheery, jaunty little tune. I was so caught off guard, but then I thought, "This guy is happy! And this is a good sign!" It created an immediate vibe of warmth. It's those little details that make this place memorable.
The Not-So-Perfect Parts (Because No Place is Perfect)
Okay, so it wasn't all rainbows and unicorns. The decor is… dated. Think Grandma's living room. And the pool area is, shall we say, not exactly Instagram-worthy. Oh, and don't expect a gourmet meal. But honestly? I'm okay with those things. I’m a traveler, I’d rather have a friendly welcome, a clean room, and a decent breakfast.
My Final Verdict - And Why You NEED to Book This Place
Look, the Econo Lodge in Billings isn't trying to be a Four Seasons. But what it is trying to be, it absolutely nails it. It’s clean, safe, comfortable, and convenient. It's a place that genuinely cares about its guests. And for the price? It's an absolute steal.
Here’s My Offer: Book Now & Get Ready to Be Surprised!
Book the Econo Lodge in Billings through my link (insert affiliate link here!) and I’ll give you first dibs on my favorite tips for exploring the area. Plus, you get access to a downloadable guide on the best hidden gems in Billings. Stop expecting mediocre and start experiencing real value. This Econo Lodge is more than just a room; it’s a gateway to a great trip. Don’t wait, this “Best Kept Secret” won’t stay secret forever!
SEO Keywords: Econo Lodge Billings, Econo Lodge Review, Billings Montana Hotels, Affordable Hotels Billings, Clean Hotels Billings, Accessible Hotels Billings, Free Wi-Fi Billings, Best Value Hotels Montana, Things to do Billings, Tripadvisor Billings Hotels, Montana Road Trip Hotels, Cheap Hotels Billings.
Baguio Family Getaway: HUGE Room Near Market & Session Rd!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's meticulously planned travel itinerary. We're talking Econo Lodge Billings, Montana – population, a whole lotta wide-open sky and probably some tumbleweeds. And I, your intrepid (and slightly neurotic) guide, am ready to spill the beans. This is gonna be… well, it's gonna be something.
Day 1: Arrival of Disappointment… I Mean, Discovery!
1:00 PM: Arrival at Billings Logan International Airport (BIL). Honestly, my expectations were already subterranean. Billings, MT? Sounds like a place where flannel shirts are considered formal wear. But hey, gotta see the world, right? The airport itself was… functional. Got out of there like a shot. Avoided making eye contact with anyone. Small town airports give me the heebie-jeebies – a whole lotta people crammed together in one place, probably all with a life story I don't have time for.
1:30 PM: Rental Car Chaos. Picked up my pre-booked (ha!) rental car. Let's just say my "advanced driving skills" are, shall we say, aspirational. The car’s air conditioning blasts like a banshee when it’s set to low, freezing me solid. Made it out of the rental lot in one piece, which, frankly, felt like a victory. The car smells faintly of stale coffee and desperation. Perfect.
2:00 PM: Check-In at Econo Lodge Billings. Okay, so the website photos were… optimistic. The reality is a bit more "lived-in." The carpet has seen some things. The air smells faintly of chlorine and regret. But hey, the guy at the front desk was nice (and probably knows everyone in town). I’ll give him that. The room? Well, the bed… it’s… there. Hopefully, it doesn’t have any surprise springs.
2:30 PM: The Room, The Anxiety, The Unpacking. Okay, deep breaths. Unpack. Put my suitcase on the… suspect… chair. Survey the room. Two double beds. One nightstand. A tiny TV I'm pretty sure predates the internet. I turn on the TV and find myself staring at a local news report that seemed to be mostly about farm equipment. This is where my existential dread starts setting in. My phone’s battery is at 30%. I'm already craving a proper espresso, but the hotel’s instant coffee is probably going to be more like brown-tinted water. This is the part where I silently curse my life choices.
3:30 PM: First Impressions of Billings (a drive of desperation). Decided to face the outside world. Took the trusty (and smelly) rental car for a spin. Billings… is… expansive. Lots of sky. Lots of… things. Roadside billboards offering everything from dentures to guns (and sometimes, disturbingly, both at the same time). I drove towards what looked like the "downtown" and got stuck behind a lumbering pick-up truck that seemed to be going 15 miles per hour. It was then that I began to feel a strange kind of peace – acceptance, maybe? Like, who cares if I'm early for dinner? Take me to my destiny.
6:00 PM: Dinner at Burger Dive Recommended by the helpful desk clerk. Burgers. Fries. Milkshakes. This is American comfort food at its finest. The place was packed, loud, and gloriously greasy. After the first bite, I was in heaven. This is an experience I can say I enjoyed. The burger was incredible, and the fries were crispy perfection. It was a moment of pure, unadulterated bliss. Then, the bill came. It was surprisingly reasonable! (I’m officially sold on Billings.)
8:00 PM: Evening of questionable television and existential dread. Back at the hotel. Survived the TV. The bed is okay. I think I'm going to make it.
Day 2: The Wild West (or at least, a suggestion of the Wild West).
8:00 AM: "Breakfast" at the Econo Lodge. (I use the term "breakfast" loosely.) Suspect coffee, questionable (but edible) pastries. Made me miss my espresso even more. Also, I noticed that the other people in the breakfast room seemed to be having a very long stare-off with each other – I think I made eye contact with one person and he gave me a look that said, “Do you want my soul?” I do not.
9:00 AM: Planning Fails. I planned, in theory, to explore the Pompey's Pillar National Monument, then perhaps the Pictograph Cave State Park. However, I got so utterly lost in the morning that I decided to scrap those plans. I think I was supposed to turn somewhere, but the sign was faded, and I drove past it. I felt defeated and went back to the hotel.
11:00 AM: A Deep Dive into the "Hotel Pool" I'd seen the pool advertised. It looked… okay. Turns out, it was freezing and filled with questionable chemicals. I dipped a toe in and immediately recoiled. Nope. I then spent a solid hour just staring at it, contemplating the state of my life.
1:00 PM: Second Lunch. I saw a quaint cafe nearby the hotel called "Stella's Kitchen". Stella was a lovely woman and a fantastic cook. I ordered a hot meal of pasta, and it was good!
2:00 PM: The Rimrocks (Finally, some scenery!) Decided to finally do something proactive and ventured out to the Rimrocks. Turns out, they're pretty amazing. Huge sandstone cliffs overlooking the city. The views were spectacular. The sun was shining. I finally felt… a little bit of joy. Took a bunch of pictures, even though I'm pretty sure they won't do it justice.
Day 3: Departure (and a reluctant farewell).
8:00 AM: Almost the same breakfast (but with less hope). Yep, still alive. Coffee still isn't great. The pastries were a slightly different shape than yesterday. Maybe, just maybe, these pastries are evolving.
9:00 AM: Souvenir Shopping and a Last Look. I went to a cute little shop in the old town to pick up some small trinkets. I realized I was sad to leave. Billings isn't as bad as it seems. The people are nice. The food is good. It's quirky and a little rough around the edges, but it's honest.
11:00 AM: Departure. Goodbye, Econo Lodge. Goodbye, Billings. I'll probably be back. Or at least, I won't rule it out. The rental car… got it back in one piece. Another victory.
12:00 PM: Flight Home.
I took one last look at the expansive sky. Billings, you surprise me. I'll miss you. (Maybe.)
This is just a starting point, folks. Expect the unexpected. Embrace the mess. And for goodness sake, pack your own coffee. And remember, if all else fails, there's always Burger Dive. And that, my friends, is enough to make me smile.
Unbelievable Moran, WY Getaway: Togwotee Mountain Lodge Awaits!
Billings, MT's Econo Lodge: You Won't Believe This! - FAQ (Seriously, You Won't)
Okay, spill it! What's the "secret" about the Econo Lodge in Billings? Is it really *that* good?
Good? Honey, let me tell you. "Good" is a descriptor for a lukewarm cup of coffee. This Econo Lodge... it's an experience. It's like a time capsule where the 90s are still in full swing. The secret isn't necessarily a tangible thing, like a hidden jacuzzi (though I'm *still* searching!), it's the *vibe*. It's the unfiltered, real-life charm. It's... well, it's complicated. But yeah, in its own bizarre, slightly-stained way, I'd argue it's fantastic. I swear I walked in once, and a tumbleweed rolled through the lobby. Okay, maybe not, but it *felt* like it.
What's the *actual* condition of the rooms? Be honest! I'm not expecting the Ritz, but…
Look, let's be brutally honest. We're not talking pristine. Think… "well-loved." Picture the friend who always throws the best parties, but their apartment is, shall we say, *lived-in*. The carpets might have seen better days. There might be a slight… *character* on the walls. My first trip? The headboard *definitely* leaned towards the paranormal. I’m pretty sure I felt a presence in that room. But here's the thing: it's *clean*. Despite appearances, the sheets are crisp. The staff is, without fail, genuinely *nice*. That's huge! Clean and nice beats pretentious with a side of dust bunnies any day, in my book.
Is the breakfast as bad as everyone says the included breakfasts are at budget hotels?
Alright, breakfast. Ah, the breakfast. It's… an experience. Let's just say you're not getting a gourmet spread. Think instant oatmeal, questionable pre-wrapped pastries, and the usual continental suspects. But! And this is important! They *almost always* have those little packets of peanut butter. And the coffee? It's strong enough to wake the dead. I've seen people come back from the continental breakfast. And I swear, some people look at it like they've won the lottery. Again: character. It is what it is and it's consistently that! I mean, I wouldn't *plan* my day around it, but you'll survive. And heck, sometimes you’ll meet some characters. It's a great conversation starter - "So... how's your breakfast?”
Tell me a story about a specific stay. What's the most memorable thing that happened?
Okay, buckle up, because this one's a doozy. My *most* memorable stay? Oh, it was a disaster, but also… perfect. It was a blizzard, like, howling-winds-and-zero-visibility blizzard in Montana. I was driving cross-country, and Billings was the only place I could even *think* about stopping. Pulled into the Econo Lodge, and the lobby was packed. Not like, "busy," crowded. The power had been out for hours in many of the rooms, and everyone was crammed around what was left of the flickering lobby lights. The front desk guy, bless his heart, looked like he hadn't slept in days. He was handling it beautifully.
We bonded. The other stranded guests? We bonded. I ended up sharing a bag of chips with an elderly couple. We all sat there in the dim light, comparing blizzard stories, and watching *something* on the tiny, crackly lobby TV. It was awful, it was inconvenient, and it was… magical. That Econo Lodge became a refuge. A shared experience of survival. The next morning, the sun shone, and the power had returned. I ate my stale pastry breakfast with a group of people I'd known only hours. The warmth, the shared experience… That's what you remember. The actual room? It's a blur. The stale pastry? Tastes like a blessing. The Econo Lodge, in a blizzard? Absolutely unforgettable and I can almost guarantee I'll be back.
Are the staff actually friendly? I've read mixed reviews.
The staff... are honestly the heart and soul of this place. Seriously. I've never had a bad interaction. They're not just friendly; they're *nice*. Like, genuine, warm, helpful nice. They'll go out of their way to help you. They remember your name. They'll offer an extra towel, a recommendation for a good diner, or just a sympathetic smile when you're clearly exhausted. It's not forced, it's not corporate. It's small-town Montana hospitality, and it's a breath of fresh air. I've had interactions where the staff literally saved my trip, went above and beyond. Amazing people!
Okay, you convinced me. Are there any downsides? Be realistic!
Alright, the downsides. Let's be real. This isn't the Four Seasons. Don't expect luxury. Noise can be an issue, depending on your neighbors. The Wi-Fi can be spotty. The parking lot is… well, it's a parking lot. And, again, the decor is firmly entrenched in the 90s. The elevators? I suggest using the stairs. All that being said, does it bother me? Not really. The location is pretty good, so you can get around. And, honestly, the price is amazing. You're not paying for fancy; you're paying for convenience, a friendly atmosphere, and a genuine… *something* that’s hard to put into words. It might not be for everyone, but if you are the kind of person who can find the beauty in the slightly off-kilter, you'll love it. And the price can't be beat.
Is this review sarcastic, or are you really recommending it?
Both. Absolutely both. I'm being sarcastic about how *bad* it is, while genuinely recommending it. It's the kind of place that’s so imperfect, so real, that it becomes perfect because of it. I'm not going to lie. I've thought about keeping this place a secret! It would be easier to get a room! But I have to share it. If you are looking for something, well, different... go. Just go. And don't judge too harshly. Embrace the Econo Lodge experience. You might just love it.
I've got to ask: Is there a pool?
Yes, there is a pool. I was *so* close to forgetting! It'sDigital Nomad Hotels


Comments
Post a Comment